Brains On!, the science podcast for kids ages 6-10 from American Public Media, is kicking off the summer with a Car and Road trip series which begins this Friday, June 10.
Brains On! episodes provide variety: each program mixes science facts, expert interviews, experts interviewed by kids, funny skits, guessing games, and original songs. On June 9, 16, 20, 23 and 30, the car and road trip series will enthrall the family with stories that put American car culture at the center, including:
- June 9: Engines and origin story, with special guest Ray Magliozzi, host of “Car Talk”
- June 16: Fuel and the future, with chemical engineer Anne Co of OSU, working to make fuel cell cars more affordable
- June 20: Car design (Monster Trucks)
- June 23: All these cars mean lots of traffic
- June 30: Your body in the car
Parents love listening with their kids, and many find the podcast is a conversation-starter leading to long exchanges of ideas and questions — it’s screen-free entertainment that draws multiple generations into a shared experience, and a big step up from I Spy and License Plate Bingo.
If families are driving through or to National Parks, they can also go back and listen to the National Park series Brains On! released last December. Great Sand Dunes, Wind Cave National Park, Assateague Island, Joshua Tree and Gulf Islands National Seashore.